JUDGE FOR A DAY
The Long Beach Grand Cru offers wine lovers and connoisseurs a unique opportunity to serve as a “Judge for a Day” alongside internationally recognized wine judges. The Grand Cru International Wine Competition attracts approximately 1,500 interesting and exciting entries from the United States and throughout the world.
Saturday, July 18 and Sunday, July 19, 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Long Beach Petroleum Club
3636 Linden Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90807
$500 per seat, per day. (Tax deductible contribution to the extent allowed by law)
Sign-up Cut-off Date:
July 13, 2015
Your contribution as a Consumer “Judge for a Day” will help support the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles and its programs and services that assist poor people in striving to avoid homelessness, obtain food and health care, escape domestic violence, and move from welfare to work. The Long Beach Grand Cru is a prestigious competition and is the only one offering consumers this opportunity to serve on a professional wine competition panel. As a Consumer “Judge for a Day” you will:
- Test your palate, tasting and evaluating about 100-120 different wines on a panel with winemakers, restaurateurs, wine store representatives, noted wine writers, educators and recognized wine connoisseurs. (Consumer Judge votes are not counted.)
- Learn the do’s-and-don’ts of wine judging through a brief tutorial prior to the competition, conducted by noted wine professional Dr. Fred Nury, Emeritus Professor of Enology, CSU Fresno*.
- Enjoy lunch poolside with the judges and wine-loving volunteers.
- Dine at the exclusive Saturday night Judges’ Dinner.
- Be listed along with other judges on printed materials and the Grand Cru website.
- Sunday consumer judges participate in the final “Sweepstakes Award” judging round.
Consumer Judges sit on a panel with experienced experts. Seats will be limited to one per panel with a projected eight panels each day. Application must be received and paid for by July 13, 2015.
* Learn from the best! Dr. Nury will teach a brief tutorial Saturday and Sunday at 8 a.m. The tutorial will be held in the conference room of the Long Beach Petroleum Club. Some of the topics covered will be the do’s and don’ts of what to look for when judging a wine; how to judge wines of different types; what to expect in a bouquet and the aroma of different varieties of grapes; and how to pair wine with food.